working with newcomers to our country
Working with New People to Canada or the US
· It is beneficial if we are able to use a strengths based approach and look for the strengths people we seek to work with already have
· In many cases newcomers are unaware of services that are offered in their communities that can assist the settlement process
· Connecting them to these services and helping them access them is of great value
· Women immigrants are more likely to seek help if the helper is female and speaks the same language. Researcher Barbara Cottrell (2008)
· Establishing trust by offering friendship goes a long way, simple things like spending time practicing English speaking skills is often greatly appreciated
· Asking them about their own culture and having a posture of learning also demonstrates respect and care as these relationships flourish.
Thank you to Erika Abele of Oasis Dufferin Community Centre in Toronto for these tips!